Thursday, March 3, 2011

King Lear Act 2 Scene 2

Act 2 Scene 2

As asked by Professor Sexson, I watched a clip from King Lear (above). Before I watched this clip, I wasn't really that impressed with Edmund. I knew that he was one of the main evil characters, but when watching this, he truly came alive and there was aspects of him that I could relate to. I feel that everyone at one point in time acts to further their own means, probably not as drastic he does. From actually seeing the play acted out, it seems that he feels as though he is justified in his actions. On some levels, he knows that he is doing a true evil but on other levels he feels he is justified to do as much as he can to get ahead. We have talked about the different levels of play as a whole, realistic and mythological, but now I think we are starting to see different levels within the various characters. We definitely see it in Lear himself but I think that we see it in Edmund. He is reversing the mythological and realistic levels within himself. By discrediting the mythological aspects of the world and trying to be realistic, he is creating the myth within himself that he deserves to have what is his brother's. By creating this myth, he mythologizes his relationship with his family and the relationships they have with one another. I have not completely finished reading all of King Lear but I am curious to see how the character who least believes in mythology inserts it into his own life because of that misbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment